Thursday, April 26, 2012

Accepting the Constant.

So, funny enough, my last post was about how I'm going to write more ... And since then is the longest stretch that I haven't written. Brutal.

It is no secret that I struggle with some aspects of parenthood. It isn't everything I thought it was going to be. That is not to say I don't love being a mom - it just means that I was not prepared. I know now that I couldn't have been prepared. It just isn't possible.

But I have recently made progress. I still have days that I feel as though I'm going to SNAP - but they aren't as frequent. I think part of the reason for this is that I have accepted (accepted - not yet embraced) the fact that parenting is constant. 24/7.

I was recently talking to a gentleman who has a 15 and 9 year old. We were talking about parenting and he asked if I was surprised that my life wasn't my own anymore. It was like a lightbulb turned on for me - that was it - nothing in my life is about me (as I write this the kids are in the bath - yes, I'm in the bathroom, no one is drowning at the expense of a blog post - and they have both said mommy at least twenty times).

This is a constant gig with no break. Even when they go to bed it isn't over - we then have to tidy, to get clothes ready, etc etc. By the end of the day I just want to sit on my duff and do nothing (hence the 15 pound weight gain, lol).

Accepting that it is constant has helped - at least with my mental state. But I did say it was only part of what has helped - the recent trip to Mexico with just James was a big part (thank you Mom!!!). Parents must take care of themselves and their relationship - if they don't they are no good to their kids anyways.

So, more ranting. Having children is worth it, but it is HARD.

Note: Adam just farted in the bath and thought it was hilarious. I do laugh a lot more than I did before kids :)

Jaclyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment