Wednesday, May 23, 2012

To the power of four.

Before having kids I had no comprehension as to why my friends with children planned so little in a day. On a Saturday I would plan (after sleeping in) grocery shopping, tea break, just for fun shopping, visit with friends, cleaning and a movie with James. While they would do grocery shopping at 7am, a playdate and then hope to make it past 9pm so they could stay up for a movie.

I get it now.

Doing ANYTHING now requires at least four additional steps. Should I realize at 6pm on a weeknight that we need cat food - I seriously consider how badly the cat really needs food (I mean, she is overweight, she can handle a night without food, lol). Because to go out for cat food, what used to be a 15 minute round trip to Walmart, is now a one hour escapade that includes pee breaks, temper tantrums and a search for lost shoes before I have even left the house.

There is no longer a quick trip to the store. There are always at least four additional steps.

And this has seeped into other, non-kid related, parts of my life. Everything takes longer. It is probably because I am so exhausted that I lack the concentration required to finish a task with ease. For example, the other day I was doing laundry. I noticed something on the ground so I put a few clean items on the dryer before grabbing the unknown object. As per usual one of the socks fell in between the washer and dryer. I then had to move the washer to get the sock. Once I moved the washer back I realized that due to my pathetic cleaning skills the clean sock was now dirty. Maddening.

At times this really gets to me and I snap (trust me when I say it is an ugly sight).

I do miss the days where I could just pop out to the store or have an impromptu visit with a friend ... But, on the upside I have lots of time with kids who make me smile:

"Mommy, I want to be a rock star so I can sing all the Justin Bieber songs" said by Adam as he rocks out without a shirt on because Justin would think it was cool.

Jaclyn.

1 comment: