Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cakes.

My mom always made my birthday cakes when I was a kid. I got to go through the cake book a choose whatever one I wanted. One year I choose a candy shop. A CANDY SHOP people!!

It is this that made me want to make our kids' birthday cakes ... I still remember those cakes ... its a lasting memory. Not the cake, that's not the memory, the memory is that my mom made them for me.

And now I know what was going through my mom's mind every time she made a cake: "What the f*@% was I thinking!?".

For Adam's cake I chose a dinosaur. He's big into dinosaurs right now (why didn't I ask him what he wanted you ask ... well, I didn't want to take the chance that he said something like 'daddy's motorcycle'). Easy enough. WRONG. I sought assistance from many ... tools, recipes, guidance, support (thank goodness for Facebook). But I have to say the end result looked like a dino ... a blue one.




I complained the entire time but in the end it was totally worth it. Adam's face when the cake came out was awesome. Just awesome.

Next was Blair's first birthday cake. I thought about a '1' but in the end a Care Bear made the most sense as her nickname is 'Care Bear'. Lessons learned with this one:

1) Don't leave it until the last minute (ie. don't be icing the cake at 1am).
2) Don't choose something that everyone knows what its supposed to look like ~ because they will know when it doesn't look like it!

I tried Blair. I tried. But I failed you. You had the oddest looking Care Bear for a cake ... but thankfully you didn't seem to mind. You actually seemed to enjoy it quite a bit.


Both cakes were learning experiences. And I will do it again, if only for the look on their faces. Fingers crossed that Adam doesn't choose something crazy like the Eiffle Tower next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment