Monday, November 22, 2010

So important to talk.

Parenting has proven to be the biggest challenge I have ever faced. Now, at 30 I know there are many more challenges in my path but so far this one takes the cake. The best things in life require work ... such as having kids. If anyone ever says that parenting is easy ... question their logic. But its not supposed to be easy - we're raising human beings, we're responsible for their physical, ethical, and moral development (to name a few) - and by raising I mean starting from scratch! There is no way it is easy.

The number of curve balls thrown my way lately has been insane - Adam is nearing the end of the 'doesn't have the words to communicate' phase and entering the 'defy defy defy' phase. The biggest daily challenge is the preparation to get out of the house. This NEVER EVER goes as planned and often takes twice as long as anticipated. Lately I have been better at keeping my cool but on the days where I didn't get much sleep ... its not good, and when I lose it, he loses it even more so. Vicious cycle. Once we are out of the house, if I lost my cool in the process I feel like a total sh*t. I feel awful. I mean, he's only three years old, but in the heat of the moment I'm also three years old (mentally at least, physically I am at least 30 (more on this in another post)).

I also feel like the worst mom in the world. I feel like I am the only one losing my cool. But then I have a great chat with some amazing mothers and realize I am not alone. Everyone loses their composure at some point, humans in general have their limits to which they can be pushed. It is SO important to talk, no matter what the stage in life. Talking lets us know we're not alone and reminds us that we're all just doing the best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment