Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Year of 30 List.

James and I are officially thirty years old. While I've been mumbling and grumbling and dreading this birthday James has been embracing it. He is approaching thirty as an opportunity, an opportunity to start fresh and an opportunity to try new things. This attitude is, thankfully, somewhat contagious and I too am trying to embrace this new age group.

Something we have just started is establishing our 'Year of 30 List'. This list, which was James' idea, is like a bucket list but its only for our thirtieth year. The objective is to list thirty things which we want to try together. Some of the things neither of us have done, others one of us has but we still want to do it together (for example, I want to skate the canal end to end - James has already done this but is taking one for the team and doing it again with me).

The list is not yet complete. Its a lot harder to think of things than we ever would have thought. This is likely due to the 'rules' we established for the list. The rules are as follows:

1. Only one 'big' (i.e. expensive) thing.
2. Both of us must want to do it.
3. Cannot cost more than $250 for the both of us (aside from the one big thing).

As you can see, this limits us quite a bit, but they are necessary to ensure we enjoy ourselves and don't go broke in the process. The plan is for us to establish a new list every year with the number of items equalling our age. Yes, we see this may be difficult at age 80, but we figure by then our list will include items such as 'walk a flight of stairs'.

The list, so far, includes:

Cruise (Check! I had never been ... but I have now!)
Sushi (Check! Absolutely disgusting and we will never try it again.)
Shisha Bar (I have never been.)
Go to the top of the CN tower (I have never been - crazy!)
Skate the canal end to end
Start to learn Spanish
Watch the Godfather trilogy (me again, I've never watched any of the movies)
Make and try Hot Wine
Dog sledding
White water rafting (who's in?!)
Ottawa Haunted Walk
Take a flight in a prop plane
Go zip lining
Go to Bluesfest together (please let the 2011 lineup be good)
Start standing water skiing

I am looking forward to experiencing all these new things, especially since James and I will be doing them together. I hope we complete everything on the list and that we keep it going every year - my grandparents are 80 years old and more active than most sixty year olds; I think what keeps them young and full of life is that they are so busy and involved in the community.

As I mentioned though, we are having a tough time completing the list, so any ideas you may have are welcome and appreciated!

If I get more blog savvy I will add a Year of 30 section which will include the entire list, be updated when items are completed, and if there are any I will include pics of the attempts.

Wish us luck!!

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea!!!!! I love it!!! I'm totally gonna do one for this upcoming year - and may I add it's only 28 items!!! ;) bahahah. I would be up for white water rafting...but I've always wanted to do the ziplining - can I tag along for that one? The canal is a great idea!! Especially if you don't know how to stop! In regards to Spanish, I have some good beginner books if you want to borrow. Dog sledding is a lot of fun! And so is the haunted walk of Ottawa. I've never tried water skiing, so that is gonna go on my list. Have you ever made homemade ice cream? Have you ever seen a movie in 3D? Or have you ever been to Penny's Fudge Factory in Fitzroy Harbour? - it's awesome...so many choices!!! And what about adding reading some classic book or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas Kels! And you can definitely come for zip lining and come up to the cottage for some water skiing next summer!!!

    ReplyDelete