Thursday, October 21, 2010

You're (not my) best friend.

Adam has started telling people they are his best friend. Most often James is his best friend but sometimes I get the call of duty and I can't believe how something so innocent can put such a big smile on my face.

But on the flip side, he sometimes throws down 'you're not my best friend'. And even though I know he has no clue what he is saying it does sting a little bit.

This has got me to thinking about when I was a teenager and some of the things I said and did ~ mainly to my mom. Most vivid in my mind is one evening my mom was driving my cousin and I to a party (you know, the parties in the basement where we all sat in groups and giggled). At the time my mom was working her butt off for very little money so we didn't have a greatest car (think clunky old red ford station wagon) and it needed a new fan belt (it made a horrible screeching noise ~ yes, that's a technical description, you can ask any mechanic). As we were pulling up I asked my mom to drop us off a few houses down so that no one saw us get out of the car. So awful. She was working so hard to give my brother and I everything we needed and I was embarrassed by a bloody car.

I'm sure I threw down the 'I hate you' at least a few times, and I went out without telling her (I'm sure making her sick to her stomach), and probably countless other things that broke her heart without really thinking about it.

Do I wish I was a more considerate teen? Yes. Do I wish I could take some things back? Of course. Am I prepared for the moments similar to these that I will experience with Adam and Blair? Absolutely not.

2 comments:

  1. I think the teen years may be some of the hardest...I don't think you can ever be ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I have been thinking alot about this lately too. Liam had his first tempertantrum at daycare the other day. He wanted to eat his buddies yogurt and the sitter wouldnt let him. So he threw himself on the floor and fake cried. As funny as this image is, it freaks me out because i know it will be the first of many and i dont think i am quite prepared for it. And with the speed at which time is flying by these days, i know he is going to be 13 before i know it. FREAKS.ME.OUT.
    I have also been thinking about it in terms of me as a kid. While i wouldnt say i was a bad teenager, there are definitely things i could have done better. With the amount of I Hate you's i threw around, i dont know how my mom didnt just burst out into tears...

    ReplyDelete