Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Zumba

We bought a membership to the City of Ottawa. We never use it.

This week though I have been twice and fully intend to use it much more. Yesterday I had a date with my unfriend the treadmill so today I thought I would try something new. This something was Zumba. The description in the brochure made it seem like dance-type aerobics. Sounded like fun. Imagine my disappointment when I arrived and the majority of the class is 50+ ... including several who were at least 60. I was thinking to myself that I'd have to hit the treadmill again after the class to break a sweat because there's no way these old folks can bring it. HA! Ya right.

The teacher begins the class with a little intro ('how y'all been, have some new songs, hope you're ready for a good work out') ... and then the music starts and out come these wild dancing-aerobic machines! Each and every one of them knew all the steps (I'll get into the steps in a bit) and all of the songs which were mainly current chart toppers. I couldn't believe it - on a few levels - 1) they knew all the words to each and every song 2) they moved their hips like, well, real dancers 3) I definitely broke a sweat and 4) they were hootin' and hollerin'! It was awesome ... aside from the fact that I was the only newbie and looked like I had two left feet.

And man, the moves these woman were doing ... a lot of hip action, some cowboy ridin' (I am serious), butt shakin' ... I felt like I was in a club. Needless to say I had a great time and will go back again ~ I just hope I can keep up a bit better next time! And I hope when I get older I can move like these ladies!!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I went to Zumba once at the Goulbourn Rec Complex not long ago and won't EVER go back!! I'm not even close to being coordinated enough, and along with feeling really foolish because I couldn't keep up, I couldn't understand "the language" when she yelled out moves. Ick. It probably didn't help that there were close to 100 people in the gym that night, but I wasn't getting a workout at all basically standing there TRYING to get into it. My girlfriend and I went to use the ellipticals after 2 songs. I wasn't prepared to not get a work out because I had really wanted to. You don't sweat standing still with a dumb look on your face. :)

    ReplyDelete