Sunday, February 27, 2011

The devil wears prada, Jaclyn does not.

For those that knew me through my formative teen years you know that my 'style' then was questionable (for those that didn't think flannel, plaid pants paired with a Leeds soccer jersey). But the thing is 1) it was high school 2) I really didn't care. Now however 1) it matters what I wear to work and 2) I care.

Slight problem though - I am fashion/style challenged. I see stuff I like but have no idea who to bring a concept to life. I pretty much need a paint by numbers approach - I need to be told what outfit to buy and if I happen to buy just a shirt or just pants ... oh man, that will just create a headache because when I go to wear them I will have NO IDEA what to pair with them. For example ... I may like this style, you know casual but put together:



But I would likely end up something like this:


Beyond this, I always ALWAYS react negatively to new styles. For example, slouchy-type boots ... a friend had those long before they were in stores here (I'm told they were in style in London and New York at the time) ... and I thought they were terrible. And then they hit stores here. As usual it took me a long time to come around to them, but eventually I decided they were great. This resistance creates two problems 1) I'm never in style 2) they never have my size when I decide I do in fact like them.

So, I need to adjust. I need to look at fashion in a new way. I want to look good, I want to be in style. I've hired a stylist (she is aware that the pay is crap (ie. zero)) and I am expanding my wardrobe bit by bit. This is going to be a long slow, and probably painful, process. But at this point its not an option. Flannel pants be gone! (except in the comfort of my own home of course - oh, maybe on quick trips to the grocery store too - and maybe ...)

1 comment:

  1. Haha Awesome post :) First off, you don't give yourself enough credit. But like I always say Jac, you can pull anything off as long as you believe you can.

    ReplyDelete