Monday, December 27, 2010

Me Time - a lost concept?

Preface: I'm selfish.

Before we had kids I had tons of 'me time' ... so much so that I didn't think it was anything special, just reality. It was time to sit back, relax, and do absolutely nothing. I often watched mindless television shows, guilt-free. I was also a regular nap taker, especially after work ... I would come home and crash on the couch for a couple hours (and then make dinner whenever I felt like it).

Now, the idea of 'me time' is one of the most enticing things out there. Time not being asked 'why?', not dealing with screaming children, time not cooking, not doing the never-ending laundry, time to sit and do nothing ~ guilt-free. I'm not going to lie and say I don't watch garbage tv, of course I do ... but I always have that nagging to-do list in the back of my head.

On the rare occasion Blair naps, or when both children are happy and playing contently I will steal some me time ... time to do a sudoku puzzle or two ... but it always seems to bite me in the ass. For example, I took time for myself yesterday (I went shopping - some great Boxing Day sales to be had!) ... had I not taken it we probably wouldn't have been racing out the door already 40 minutes late for Christmas dinner. I would have made the potatoes earlier, I would have showered earlier, and we wouldn't have been stressed (keep in mind that stressed parents = disobedient children) trying to get out the door.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't trade my life for the world, but sometimes when its been a stressful week, or when I really don't have the energy to go downstairs to get the next basket of laundry to be folded, some guilt-free 'me time' would be pretty darn awesome.

Its funny though, I'm sure that when my kids are older and moved out of the house, I'll find I have too much 'me time' and long for the days of "why mommy? why?", "mommy, I'm hungry", "mommy, mommy, mommy, ...". As James would say: "typical woman, never happy" ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment