Sunday, January 30, 2011

Life with one.

James and Adam left on Friday for their first ever boys' weekend at the cottage. As a result Blair and I are enjoying our first ever girls' weekend. We of course started off with a bang and went shopping but other than that its been pretty low key ... and quiet. At times, almost eerily quiet.

So I've been thinking about life with one child, life with only one pant leg being tugged at, only one kid saying "ma ma". And honestly, I miss the chaos, I miss the loudness. I miss my men.

On Friday as I was getting Adam ready for preschool I was ready to LOSE MY MIND. If I had heard "Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam" one more time I think something in my brain would have snapped (seriously, at one point I begged Adam to call me mommy, there is just something about the way "mom" comes out that drives me bananas). But now, as I sit in my quiet house with both dogs and Blair sleeping I want to hear Adam's voice. I want to watch as he discovers new things (loudly, because Adam has yet to learn the concept of inside voice).

I'm not going to lie and say I haven't enjoyed the quiet at all ~ I definitely have, its been good for me, almost like a reset. But I have had enough. Our house is meant for laughter and loudness (although our neighbours might disagree).

But, I will say this ... life with one is a wee bit easier. Its calmer. Its more manageable. And for some reason one parent vs one kid is easier than two parents vs two kids. I'm not sure why but its true. But I've never been calm, I've always liked challenges, and for me chaos is the way to go.

I'm sure I will feel a little overwhelmed when James and Adam come barrelling into the house but I cannot wait for those big hugs and to hear Adam's stories from the weekend. And honestly, one reason I am writing this post is so that I can revisit it on the days when I just want some quiet ... to remind myself that while quiet is good for the soul and necessary sometimes, its the chaos that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment