Thursday, September 2, 2010

Butter Tarts and a Movie ...

... is there a better way to spend the day?!

For some reason when I became a mother I developed this urge to bake. A friend of mine recently had a darling little girl and also developed this urge. So Kelsie and I planned that today we would make butter tarts and then head out for an afternoon movie.

(Side note: I cannot bake. I am lost in the kitchen. One of our chocolate labs runs and hides when I start cooking.)

We separately researched butter tart recipes ~ and of course we realized once we started baking that we chose the same recipe. Great minds ... right Kels?? I had to adjust my recipe as I can't have gluten so my pastry was different but the innards were the same. The GF pastry was tricky ~ in the end I had to put balls of pastry in the tin and then spread it out. Kelsie's pastry however was impressive ~ it handled so well and looked perfect. We did learn that you need to double the filling recipe and cook them for five minutes longer than suggested ... but in the end it was fairly uneventful and we ended up with edible products! The two little ones also contributed as they picked the right times to fuss.

After a quick lunch we headed out to go see Eat, Pray, Love. We met a fellow mat-leaver and her adorable son at the entrance and embarked on the task of watching a movie with infants together. Some of you may be thinking this would be easy peasy ... hah! Blair deuced twice, fussed for over an hour, and both of the other mommies managed to breast feed in those not so comfy seats! The movie itself ... was, shall we say, mediocre and long (I did not read the book and this is just my opinion). The company however was great and I look forward to more baking/movies days ... especially since we can test our tasty treats during the movie!

The dilemma is ... what to make next time?!



1 comment:

  1. What a delightful day...next time we should bake something that involves cheesecake! I have a recipe for cheesecake Popsicles !

    ReplyDelete